Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Further Step Towards Enfranchising 16 - 18 Year Olds?


Listening to Radio 4 today on my way home from work, I heard the announcement that the Youth Parliament will be allowed to debate in the chamber of the House of Commons. Of course, MP's voted on granting this privilege last night - in an overwhelming majority I might add.

Personally, I think it is great that the Youth Parliament have been granted this honour and privilege. This is a small but significant step in the right direction to begin the long awaited engagement process with the youth in society.

I hope for the day when our younger generation are granted the right to vote. Those 16 - 18 year olds who are deemed mature enough to join the Armed Forces, find employment and pay tax into a system in which they currently have no opportunity to express their opinion (at the ballot box) as to how that tax revenue is spent.

More details on the Youth Parliament can be found here.

No comments: